Greg's European Adventure

Friday, June 24, 2005

Day 1-3: Paris

Pictures will come as soon as I figure out how to upload them easily...

21/06/05 10:43 PM - Wee wee pariy I am in Paris, I arrived safely. Much to the dismay of the striking airport limousine drivers of Toronto. The had traffic backed up to a parking lot for over a mile from the airport. Causing women, children, and the aged to trek across the sea of cars and tour buses with literal baggage almost too burdensome to bear. After an interview with a sage striker, I was told of the reason why they are striking, a critical portion to the story. They strike because of GTA's new position of awarding companies and not drivers licences to operate at the airport. This in my opinion is a worth cause, because then I believe the limousine companies would have too much leverage over the drivers and probably make future strikes mute. Hence power activated as a last resort. See picture 1-4

21/06/05 10:46 PM - After the strike and the ensuing hike to the airport while doing my best to assist two poor Indian mother and elder daughter pair with their torn luggage, I felt an up grade from normal economy to premium economy was worth the 110$ Canadian. The 110$ did get me free drinks (about 5) a water bottle, travel kit, free earphone, but in exchange I did lose my window seating because my window in premium didn't exist even though I sat adjacent to the fuselage. I thought about those that get over the wing seats and get bummed out because of the lack of view, yet at least they can see the sky or the ground when the wing tilts. This would be trivial for someone who files frequently to a destination, but for the first time (and maybe only) I thought that the view I would get would be priceless. I did make excellent company with Nia, an African-Belgium on a Canadian passport who was really friendly and communicative. We both didn't get much sleep on the flight but I showed her how to play chess, which she was a fast pickup, and we had fun playing other games on my mini-computer like solitary and that Chinese game with chips. She took an instant liking to me and for whatever reason (umm.. the back rub) wanted me to travel with her through France, like Nancy as well as other locations in northern France on the way to Lisbon Portugal. She speaks the local language well especially with men. Most importantly we helped each other out, I let her use my cell phone while she was an angel in finding my metro to the hostel. We might hook up later in the week when she wants to be in Paris for the weekend. (Picture 5)


22/06/05 4:00 AM - So I have slept enough to catch up and it is 4AM in the morning. I could probably use some more. Anyway I did go out for a little bit and meet Palmala and Teren from Itica and Connecticut. We played Gin rummy for a bit. I was able to see the area around me and it does become super pleasant around the time of dusk. My first meal in France much to the chagrin of my french Ottawa classmates was at McDonalds, which happens to be right next to the Hotel (45E/night). My royal with cheese (quarter pounder in the states/canada) was better tasting than the Canadian version and tasted similar to the american version. All McDonalds use local beef so this was a good sign of the food to come. I have a certain fascination with paris public toilets, I suppose it is reminds me of two oversized aluminum cans melded together in an oblong can. I haven't ventrued inside of one but I did take two pictures. Picture 5 is a view of the toilets and the American cultural icon (McDs) while the other one would be a french cultureal icon (public street band in front of French Carrot Bar; Picture6. Strange Paris tidbit of the day: the Toilets as mentioned


22/06/05 4:10 AM - The rest of my time should be spent on an hour or two of french language training (I was appalling today) as well as planning the days trip ahead.

24/06/05 7:00 PM - So I have done some touristy things like go to the Louve but for the whole day. They have a nice patio cafe in the louve that I recommend. Touring the louve is easier if you don't read French, because there is so much written commentary that I just scan over. I did have the audio head phones but that only gives the english version of 600 or so artifacts. Highlights include Hammurabi's code (where maybe the first time Doctors had written rules of conduct; for example: if a brick maker has a house collapse on an owner's son; then the brick maker loses a son in return. Hammurabi's code is actually a 2.5 meter long black granite statue. I liked Napolean's Louve appartment too. It gave me some tips for redecorating 133Top... can you say gold painted chairs... I knew you could...Strange Paris tid bit of the day: the perfect place to take a short nap inside the louve just below the atrium where they have long comfy red pillow benches.

Yesturday I went to the Notre Dame where the archbishop of Paris has his home. It was an amazing and powerful place of worship. They also have a treasury off the beaten path where they have a shread of wood about the size of a can of toothpicks from Jesus's cross. That night I also worked on my internet communications, had a perfect mug of hot choclate in the Paris rain (at cafe la monde) as well as I went to see the new Batman movie (with french subtitles). After walking for 4 hours looking for a particular resturant (Joe Allen's) I needed a cool place to escape the heat and as a buffer for culture shock. I then ran to the Peace and Love Hostel and Pub for a quick meet up and drinks with some fellow canadians from vancouver. They were on to Spain and then Greece so we might meet up then. I am leaning towards a stay from prague then budapest then athens...-strange paris tidbit of the day: The Inspector du ticket le Metro; I almost got a big fat ticket, but thankfully (for both of use I think; my third used ticket was the active one).

Today was a late morning start (all the walking, sun tanning (or redening), and the dehydration, and the two super stiff drinks). I found the new hostel that I moved to. It is more downtown where the action is in the Latin Quarter, which is perfect as the weekend approaches and I get more into Paris night life. I also went to the Pasteur Insitutute mueseum. The place and especially the crypt underneath the house that he lived was so sureal. Next to Sir William Osler (the father of Modern Medical training) Pasteur (the father of immunology/microbiology) is a personal hero of mine. It was nice to be off the tourist track. The I went to the Effiel tower, which is so on the tourist track. Honestly, I didn't stay that long because my feet are actually sore from walking so much (Hey I get lost a lot!!! and asking for directions isn't the easiest). I think I'll rent a bicycle tomorrow there is much to see before Prague. There is also the picacso and Orsay museums on my list. Strange tidbit of the day: Paris coffee is actually really good. Yet there is a universal starbucks with a venti iced light ice (you know you don't even have to ask for light ice in france..) tazo chai tea latte.

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I am having troubles updateing this blog!! :)
-G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home